Is there no CPE in your room yet ? The SSHnet wall outlet only allows cabled connection of equipment.
Some tenants have installed their own Wi-Fi router to enable connection of Wi-Fi devices such as a smartphone of tablet.
- wrong type of equipment: not a router but, e.g., an ADSL modem or cable modem.
- wrong connection: the WAN port of the router should be connected to SSHnet.
- firmware problems: some routers may cause severe network overload problems.
In such circumstances it may be that your connection is quarantined.
Is your ‘router’ really a router ?
- check whether your router is correctly connected. The ‘WAN’ port of the router should be connected to the SSHnet wall outlet. If you connect one ot the ‘LAN’ ports to the SSHnet wall outlet, problems will arise.
- also check whether the box you are about to connect to the SSHnet wall outlet is in fact a router. Some network equipment, such as an ADSL modem or cable modem, may look very similar. But if you connect one of these, problems will arise.
Consumer grade routers usually have a single WAN port and 4 LAN ports. The WAN port often has a different color, and is positioned at some distance from the block of LAN ports.
You should connect the WAN port to the SSHnet wall outlet.
DSL modem, cable modem
How to recognise?
A DSL modem has a telephone line port labelled ‘DSL’, ‘WAN’ or ‘Line’. Its RJ11 socket is smaller than the familiar RJ45 socket, as shown in the image.
Cable modems, as supplied by Ziggo, for instance, have a coaxial port, as shown in image 2.
Do not connect such devices to SSHnet: problems are bound to occur, and a large number of tenants may then experience network disruption.
Router correctly configured?
Do a ‘factory reset’, just to be on the safe side. This will erase any settings from previous usage elsewhere.
To reset, one usually has to press the ‘reset’ button for a couple of seconds while powering up the router.
Check the documentation of the manufacturer; if you do not have a hardcopy you can download the manual on the manufacturer’s website.
Router connected correcty, but nevertheless problems
It tuns out that even correctly connected and configured routers may cause network issues, notably ‘broadcast storms’. The router then transmits millions of messages per second, causing severe network disruptions.
The router models in the list below have been found to cause broadcast storms:
- ASUS RX3041H
- D-link DIR-600A
- D-link 600NB
- E-tech WLRT03
- Linksys/Cisco WRT120N
- Linksys/Cisco WRT54G2 v1.5
- Linksys/Cisco WRT54GH
- Sitecom WL 340 V1 001
- Sitecom WL 341 V1 001
- Sitecom WL 581 V1 001
- Sitecom/WL 581 V1 001
- Sitecom WLR-7100 AC1200 WiFi Gigabit Router X7
- SweeX LW310V2
- TP-Link TL-WR842N
- TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
- TP-Link TL-WA801ND (cf access point )
- TP-Link TL-WA830RE (cf access point )
- TP-Link AC750 Archer C2
- TP-Link AC750 Archer C20i
- Vivick QW501
If you use one of these router models, the router may suddenly start a broadcast storm. Network management may then be forced to quarantine your connection in order to restore network stability.
- remove the router (this is the simplest solution).
- update the router firmware to the latest version (you should feel comfortable doing this, or else ask a knowledgeable neighbour or friend). It may be that even the latest firmware causes problems. You might consider installing DD-WRT.
- some models, e.g. TP-Link and Cisco/Linksys, will accept DD-WRT firmware. We have found no broadcast problems with this firmware. Check DD-WRT and search the router database for your model. Do not install OpenWRT, as we found that this does not remedy the broadcast problem.
Unfortunately, we have to stipulate that the above list of router models having broadcast problems may be incomplete. Is is just what we have found so far.
We have seen that updating the firmware did solve the problem, but we are unable to guarantee that this will always provide an effective solution.
Network devices come in all kinds.
We have 2 ‘access point’ devices in the list above (TL-WA801ND and WA830RE). Such devices cannot be configured correctly for SSHnet. So network problems will arise if you connect one of these.